WMF Art Nouveau green glass claret jug made in the 1890’s
WMF is the abbreviation for WÃ¼rttembergische Metallwarenfabrik, which means WÃ¼rttemberg Metal Factory and was created in 1880 in the small town of Geislingen on the river Steige, after the merger of two smaller silver plate foundries. By 1890, it had approximately 3,500 employees.
1892 saw the development of a special technique for silver plating cutlery, whereby the silver is distributed in a way that, at the points of the cutlery most exposed to wear and tear, the coating is twice as thick as elsewhere. This process was patented and is still in use today.