Here is a brilliant antique 18ct demi hunter pocket watch by Thomas Gaunt and Co that was made in 1907 that is still in brilliant condition even 110 years later.
A demi-hunter pocket watch, also known as a half-hunter pocket watch, is one which has the cover such as in a full hunter pocket watch, but with a "window" cut into the front to allow the owner to be able to read the time with the cover closed.
As the hour hand is fitted with what is called a "double spade hand" this is where the hour hand has not one but two spade markers to differentiate between the minute hand and the hour hand when the case is closed.
This watch was made by the prestigious company Thomas Gaunt & Co, who became the most well known watch and clock maker in Melbourne at the time.
The quality of the movement can easily be seen and has been fully serviced and comes with our twelve month warranty.
Fitted with a bi-metallic compensated balance for greater accuracy, it is the small but pivotal features that separates a standard pocket watch from a high grade pocket watch such as this one here. It is also features such as this that led to the great reputation that Thomas Gaunt made for himself.
The solid 18ct yellow gold case measures 48.6mm across by 66.5mm from the bottom to the top of the bow and as can be seen the case is in excellent condition.
With the white enamel dial also all original and in excellent condition with not cracks or chips, this is a wonderful example of an antique demi-hunter pocket watch for the discerning gentleman.
* Please note - the photo of the workshop taken in 1869 is not included in the sale of the pocket watch and is there for reference only *
Maker: Thomas Gaunt & Co
Out of stock
18ct demi hunter pocket watch by Thomas Gaunt and Co.
A brief history on T Gaunt & Co:
Thomas Gaunt was born in London and emigrated to Australia in 1852 and established Melbourne's leading watchmaking, optical and jewellery business in 1858 in Little Bourke Street. Around 1869 he moved to new premises in Bourke Street on the corner of Royal Arcade.
Gaunt proudly advertised that he was 'The only watch manufacturer in the Australian colonies'. While many watches and clocks may have had Gaunt's name on the dial, few would have been made locally. Gaunt did make some watches for exhibitions, and perhaps a few expensive watches for wealthy individuals. Gaunt's received a telegraph signal from Melbourne Observatory each day to correct his main clock, and used this signal to rate and repair ship's chronometers and good quality watches.
He made many turret clocks for town halls, churches and post offices. He made the clock for the Melbourne Post Office lobby, to a design by Government Astronomer Robert Ellery. Some other notable clocks that he made was for the Melbourne Parliament House, Melbourne Customs House, the Flinders St Station 'Watertower' clock and Hawthorn, Collingwood and Malvern's Town Halls among just a few. He won an award at the 1880-81 Melbourne International Exhibition for his turret clock for the Emerald Hill Town Hall. He also made the chronograph at Flemington Racecourse which showed the time for the race, accurate to a quarter of a second. The firm also installed the clockwork and figures for Gog and Magog in the Royal Arcade.
Click here to see more antique pocket watches currently instore:
Click here for a link to the beautiful and historic Queen Victoria Building, Sydney. We are the only antique jewellery store in the building: