Antique 15 carat fancy Albert chain by Larard Bros
A brief history on Larard Bros.
Larard and Son was first established on Melbourne in 1874 by John Larard and after his death in 1881, the two brothers changed the name of the company to Larard Bros (Brothers).
They became well known as a company that produced high quality jewellery, including the ever popular goldfield brooches. They were also importers of Omega watches and the jewellery is identified with their stamp of a five pointed star.
As one of Australiaâ€™s leading jewellers, the company enjoyed great success and finally closed in 1945.
A brief history on Albert chains:
The Albert chain, or Prince Albert chain as it is also known by was designed in the 1800â€™s for Prince Albert to fit through a waist coat and hold a pocket watch on one end and the key to wind it on the other.
These were often made in sterling silver or gold as well as base metals such as rolled gold and some from the Art Deco era of the 1920â€™s to the 1940â€™s being made in platinum or a combination of platinum and gold.
A double length one ie two chains leading to a tee bar is a double Albert and one where the tee bar is at one end and a swivel or bolt ring at the other is known as a half Albert.
However in the early 1900â€™s with the increase in popularity of wrist watches, the gentleman of the house put these chains down and started to wear the wrist watch and now years later woman wear these around their neck where they are quite often seen today.
Click here to see more antique Australian jewellery that is currently for sale:
Click here to see a small selection of more genuine antique chains and Albert chains that are currently in store: