Art Deco platinum diamond ring made by S. Kind & Sons
This Art Deco diamond ring was made entirely in platinum in the 1920’s. Suitable for any finger, it would make an exceptional Art Deco diamond engagement ring.
A brief history on S. Kind and Sons:
S. Kind and Sons originally started by Samuel Kind, a Bohemian immigrant in 1872 as S. Kind & Co. The firm first opened on Callowhill Street in Philadelphia, butÂ soon moved to Chestnut Street. There Samuel Kind sold various kinds of jewellery and personal accessories.
Before the end of the 19th century, he moved a couple more times, but it eventually returned back to Chestnut Street. The store stock has increased to include silver-plated mementos and gifts as well as jewellery. In the early twentieth century, Kind’s three sons, Frank, Oscar, and Philip were all brought into the business in various capacities. The firm then became known as S. Kind and Sons. During this same time, Kind acquired a diamond importing business, which further increased his selling capacity. His store sold everything from rings, pins, and necklaces, to watches, perfume bottle, and silverware.
During the 1930s, the business moved yet again, still on Chestnut Street but closer to Broad Street. In later years, the store would expand to locations in Bala Cynwyd and Cheltenham.
Due to changes in shopping habits and gift preferences, the Kind family chose to close its Philadelphia store in 1964. The Bala Cynwyd and Cheltenham stores would eventually follow suit.
The work of the Kind family still exists in the spirit and work of New York-based jewelers, S. Kind & Co., which was founded in part by Samuel Kind’s great-great-great grandson.
Click here to see more Art Deco rings including Art Deco engagement rings that are currently in store: